SPRINGFIELD – The Illinois Department of Natural Resources is accepting public comment through May 22nd about the abandoned mine lands reclamation projects that have been selected for work through a federal program. Over $75 million has been awarded for some of the sites, which include local properties in Bureau and LaSalle County. Some of the issues to be addressed would be tailing or spoils piles and open vertical mine shafts.
- 1400 Avenue N. Sheffield Highwalls – Correction of a dangerous highwall to protect passing motorists.
- Worthington Mine – Reclaim vertical openings adjacent to residences.
- Rutland Coal Co. – Reclaim vertical opening and debris; residential property abuts the north edge of the problem area.
- LaSalle County Carbon Jones Mine – Reclamation of dangerous piles and embankments.
- LaSalle Mine – Reclamation of vertical opening to prevent local youth from being injured.
For a listing of area mine locations and history online –
Illinois State Geological Survey LaSalle County Coal Data | ISGS
The list of first-year projects is also available online –
For more information about abandoned mine lands reclamation in Illinois –